Monday, October 19, 2009

DIY : How to fix a dryer belt

About a week ago my dryer decided to stop tumbling. The heat mechanism still worked but the drum wouldn't turn, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and do a DIY project to fix my dryer and save some money.

1) The first step is to look online and find out the easiest way to take off the outer shell depending on your model.

2) Next I had to pull the dryer out of the wall, unplug it of course, and take off the ducting.

3) After that I had to take off the back cover. It ended up looking like this from the back.
4) Next thing was to take out the lint filter and unscrew the fan casing and take it off.

5) Now its time to pry off the top part of the dryer. I simply used a flathead screwdriver to pry it off of the clips from the front, and the hinges on the back just hold it up. It looks like this:

6) Now to get the front off. First I had to unplug the door sensor wire, then unscrew a couple of bolts in the top corners, and by lifting up the whole front comes right off and looks something like this:

7) I then carefully took the entire drum out of the unit to investigate and figure out what happened to the belt. It turned out that the belt didn't break but an idle pully somehow got knocked over so the belt became loose, a very simple fix.
* this picture from google shows how the whole belt system works in better detail:8) I simply put the idle pully wheel back in place and looped the belt through it like so:



9) For the next part I had my roomate slide the belt over the drum while I held the drum in place, a bit tricky at first.

10) Once the belt is secure then you just retrace your steps of taking the thing apart. Put the face back on, snap the top in place, screw the fan filter case back in place, put the back cover on and make sure it works. Now I can do my 2 week old laundry finally!