Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sketches + update

I have a rough sketch for the design I want to lay out on my desk with the vinyl. I am very fascinated with wave patterns, fractals and radial designs so I decided to use that as my main element. I want the desk to look like waves are coming out of corners and seams of the desk and emanating in different directions. This project isn't intended to be a piece of fine artwork that questions some authority or makes you think deeply about something, the design is purely aesthetic. Like the last project this one is about taking something I use everyday that is sucky and cheap and make it work better and make it look like it's worth a hell of a lot more than it really is. Tonight I plan on taking the desk apart and going through the grueling task of sanding every piece front and back - by hand... I could sure go for a power sander right now. Once the sanding is over with I'll have to get all my designs drawn out on illustrator and cut out in vinyl (instead of just drawing out huge circles and using up lots of material to print those I'll probably make several segmented arcs that go to one circle). I'll keep updating as the process continues.


*keep in mind this sketch isn't accurate in terms of color, the circles will be a brownish color of my desk and the rest will be a glossy black exactly like the nightstand

No comments: